[Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)]

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Feb 23 13:35:08 UTC 2005

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Tim Bowden wrote:

>> There are different linux audiences, and they are large enough and
>> different enough to warrant keeping any non linux developer conf
>> separate from lca.
>
> Can we have a clarification here? The term "linux developer conf" - do
> you refer to developers of Linux, or to developers who use Linux?
>
> There is a substantial difference. People like David Campbell, who
> developed the parallel port drivers, which were used for the Iomega Zip
> Drives, are different to people who develop web sites using
> Perl/PHP/Java and PostgreSQL/MySQL, etc, running on Linux.

But those groups have very clear things in common -- they care about
future directions for the kernel / userspace; they care about learning
about what other people are doing in that environment; and they don't
care what the FreeBSD kernel people are doing.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au