[Linux-aus] Fair Use

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Feb 16 12:25:10 UTC 2005

Arjen Lentz wrote:
>>     "There's a reasonable argument for putting forward the opinion that
>>when someone has bought something in one format and has acquired the
>>copyright for it in that particular format then there is a fair use for
>>them to take it to another format. I think it's a strong argument,"
> That, of course, would be a nonsense statement.

I just can't decide which is more inconceivable, a politician mangling a
comment; or a major newspaper mangling a quote...

> If I purchase a DVD, I do not acquire the copyright for the materials on
> the DVD, but merely a license to view them in the privacy of my own
> home. I hope the scope of the review will not be based on this quote,
> otherwise it's nada ;-)

Actually, that's not right either -- when you buy a video you have the
right to play it, no license required. The whole "license to use" thing
is something that content distributors go to a lot of effort to convince
people is necessary, but (by and large) it's not.

"When someone has bought something in a particular format, and has
acquired the right under copyright law to access it in that format, then
there is a strong moral argument that it is a "fair use" for them to
convert it to another format."

or

"If I purchase a DVD, I do not acquire the copyright for the materials
on the DVD, but merely the right to view/use it in non-public
circumstances."

would be more accurate, aiui.

Cheers,
aj