[Linux-aus] Fair Use

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Feb 16 07:54:05 UTC 2005

And then,

The Attorney-General's Department has announced a 'wide-ranging review
of copyright laws' which will look at the question whether Australia
should have an open-ended fair use defence, perhaps like the US fair use
defence, as opposed to the confined set of fair dealing defences that we
now have in the Copyright Act.

According to the SMH, the Attorney-General, Philip Ruddock, made this
comment:

     "There's a reasonable argument for putting forward the opinion that
when someone has bought something in one format and has acquired the
copyright for it in that particular format then there is a fair use for
them to take it to another format. I think it's a strong argument,"

http://weatherall.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_weatherall_archive.html#110842038802343803

Cheers,
aj