[Linux-aus] Article in todays SMH

Craig Warner craigw at blue.net.au
Wed Feb 16 07:54:04 UTC 2005

I'm a little confused, there was an article in today's Sydney Morning
Herald titled "Copyright laws under review"
By Julian Lee, Marketing Reporter

http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/02/14/110822936338.html

In the article, Julian writes
"Tough new laws will be introduced by 2007 as part of the US-Australia
free-trade agreement. Anyone found guilty of unlocking an encrypted code
that prevents multiple copies of a CD being made faces a two-year jail
sentence."

Does this sound like Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

The reason I ask, is that I have a letter from Senate Sandy Macdonald,
(you known him as the Minister for Overseas Postings), quoting "However,
this does not mean that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or other
U.S. laws will be introduced into Australia."

Craig