[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au in January

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Wed Feb 9 11:45:08 UTC 2005

At 2005/2/8 18:10+1100  Jeff Waugh writes:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > I would like to suggest that linux.conf.au's previously traditional
> > January date be documented [1] as an important convention or tradition [2]
> > that we should only deviate from in exceptional circumstances [3].
>
> (Note that I am much less concerned about January than consistency, but I
> tend to think January has been successful for good reasons, and we shouldn't
> muck around with it too much.)

I think I have an exact opposite point of view :-) I don't think we
should deliberately tie down the conference to one time of the
year. Better that a different group of people can't make the
conference each year, rather than a certain group of people never
being able to attend.

Neither do I think we need to be concerned too much about how well the
conference fits in for overseas attendees or speakers - it is after
all primarily an Australian conference (plus NZ :-). We do have a few
overseas speakers each year, but I think whatever time of the year we
held it, we'd have overseas people wanting to speak at the conference
or attend. The Linux/Open Source community in Australia is very active
and we have a *great* selection of people willing and able to speak at
the conference who live in Australia.

Logistically it would be easier to have the conference in the same
place every year, but we move it around to make it easier for locals
from different regions to attend. Yes, this means that not everyone
can attend every year, but overall a greater number of people are able
to participate.  I believe the same argument applies to the timing of
the conference.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org