[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au in January

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Feb 9 07:36:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005, Craige McWhirter wrote:
>> Another flipside to this is that in IT roles, because there is a high
>> demand for leave it is often quite difficult to get leave at this time
>> (January). That may be my particular IT support / sysadmin experience
>> but there was a squable over leave and coverage every December and
>> January.  How much that affects LCA attendence is anyone's guess :)
>
> Yeah, my development experience is that it's quite easy to get leave:
> the clients are all on leave so there's little demand for new projects.
> Same thing in a lot of desk jobs.
>
> But anyone in shift work or retail has exactly your problem.
>
> -Mary

Now, I know of someone, who has attended previous Linux conferences,
sent to the last one as a professional attendee by the person's
employer, but the conference this year, coincides with professional
exams, so this year's conference is out, and there is no way that the
employer would send the person overseas to the conference, and the
person cannot afford to attend an overseas conference, so next year's
conference has been made out of the question for that person.

The discontuity of being able to attend the conferences, can also lead
to disenfranchisement.

Maybe it is time to use the power of the Internet, and of ADSl, and make
the conference an Internet, rather than an in-person, event, so that
more people who want to, can attend.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale