[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au in January

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Tue Feb 8 08:40:08 UTC 2005

Jeff Waugh said:
> Hi,

Why, hello!

> I would like to suggest that linux.conf.au's previously traditional
> January
> date be documented [1] as an important convention or tradition [2] that we
> should only deviate from in exceptional circumstances [3].

I would like to suggest that January is a horrendously bad month and while
I was initially raising an eyebrow at the timing of this years conference
I've genuinely warmed to the timing, regardless of what basis it may have
been chosen on. It will be interesting to chew on and compare attendence
figures and attendee response.

> It's important to have a consistent timeframe for a conference

Absolutely.

> LWE, OLS, most other major conferences in any industry), and Australia in
> January has been a great drawcard for our international audience in
> previous years.

Was it January or LCA that was the drawcard? Do we have any hard figures
on who's not coming because it's April? Does LCA require a large
international contingent to be a success? Genuine questions I'd like to
see some discussion on because the answers to them are important to our
timing selection.

      Craige.