[LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] Penguin suits grant proposal

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Tue Dec 13 17:55:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:17, Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Sridhar Dhanapalan">
>
> > A good mate of mine was for a number of years Wags the Dog for The
> > Wiggles, among other things. I'll ask him about it.
>
> Awesome :) Thanks!

I've had a chat with my mate. He thinks our idea is sound.

Suit wearers should make sure that they remain sufficiently hydrated. It can
become awfully hot in one of those things, and perspiration is inevitable.

They should be fully clothed to absorb sweat. Clothing should be close-fitting
to reduce the risk of them becoming caught on the inside of the suit. Gloves
(preferably rubber) should also be worn to eliminate contact between the suit
and sweaty palms.

Cleaning a suit can be difficult, depending on its design. Immediately after
use, the suit should be cleaned as well as possible. The main problem is
bacterial buildup (which generates odours), which can be reduced with liberal
applications of disinfectant spray (e.g. Glen 20). This is especially
important for the parts that are harder to clean.

My friend has no experience with sending a suit by courier or post. Most
performers travel with their suits, storing it as luggage. Nevertheless, it
is not impractical to courier suits around if they are stored in a hard case
for protection. I haven't determined the costs of doing so, though. One way
to minimise costs would be to reduce travel distances. That could mean
keeping one suit for the Sydney-Brisbane region, one for Melbourne-Adelaide
and one for Perth-Darwin.

I asked him if $550 is a reasonable price for a suit. He could not say for
sure since he has no clue of what we're getting for that price, but generally
is isn't too bad. He said that he can put us in touch with costume designers
and people who have put on quality shows with shoestring budgets. Some of
these people have definitely made penguin suits, but I have no idea how
closely they resemble Tux. How important is this?

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"Leading active members of today's economics profession, the generation
presently in their 40s and 50s, have joined together into a kind of politburo
for correct economic thinking. As a general rule -- as one might expect from
a gentleman's club -- this has placed them on the wrong side of every
important policy issue, and not just recently but for decades."
		-- Economist James K. Galbraith, 2000-02-14