[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Paul Antoine paul at beprivate.com
Mon Dec 12 19:41:02 UTC 2005

Adverts work best when done more than once, and most magazines will want
a 3-month commitment... for which they usually offer some discount.
Advertising is much better done in conjunction with a more comprehensive
PR campaign.

Advertising and PR only really work best when you maintain some momentum
by having recurring ads and/or articles appearing regularly over a
period of months.  This leads most organisations using such media to
plan well in advance to gather suitable project updates, customer
stories etc. in order to time the PR releases to create such a flow of
articles.

In my experience customer-focused stories with clear positive outcomes
are a lot more interesting than stories about the organisation itself.
You then make sure the organisation you're promoting is mentioned
positively by the customer... in LA's case the "customer" would be
whoever LA was facilitating, or better yet the end-user of the project.

Paul