[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Mon Dec 12 09:18:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:25 +1030, Janet Hawtin wrote:
[SNIP Long but good read]
> I guess I feel this kind of distributed and project driven publicity is
>  a better match for open source communities than a corporate press
> campaign because
> - its the way we work.
> - it puts new information into the mix which people can relate to and
> - people can manage the scale of promotion about their own project more
> than if it is promoted centrally.

Exactly. The whole idea is not to promote LA in some long running "feel
good" campaign. Rather it is to get the word out about specific projects
that show the benefits of both the FOSS philosophy and the tangibles.

Any publicity campaign that is decided on has to - by necessity - be
multi-faceted. We cannot just focus on one area and hope like hell that
we'll grab the people we want. We have to target different areas from
your tech journo to the local radio station for local events.

Over the few weeks I am planning on putting together a comprehensive
document covering the management of LA in the press and publicity wise,
and I would welcome any suggestions that people have or any experiences
in working with the media to promote their local groups.

If you would like to become part of the press team then hop along to
http://wiki.linux.org.au/Press and have a look around. Signup and let us
know so that we can add you to the group.
--
James Purser
Chief Talking Guy - Linux Australia Update