[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Dec 10 23:40:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 12:17:54AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Andrew Pam">
> > For example, a cinema ad campaign might be much more cost-effective.
> Now that, I think, *could* be effective (and not just on cost), especially
> if you targeted the right films.

What a fascinating idea... I doubt it's cheap either, of course,
particularly for a national campaign. As a reference point, Val Morgan
seem to want $5500 / week for displaying "admotions" in 15 cinemas
around the country -- they're basically poster displays in the cinema
foyer that cycle between ads.

> A sponsored effort between local companies
> (which includes branch offices) and organisations could pull this off. It
> should not be consumer-focused, nor should it be 100% on Linux Australia's
> back... and it will require serious work and advertising nous.

It might be interesting to try putting together some viral ads (ie,
amateur ones we don't pay for) that we can put up on mirror.linux.org.au
to see if we can do it and see if we can come up with an interesting
message. LCA's not far away, surely there's got to be some interesting
material to be had there...

Cheers,
aj