[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 17:25:02 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> Sorry, this just seems like a colossal waste of time and money to me. Not
> just because there's no coherent and useful message that we could deliver
> [1], but because television audiences are so entirely irrelevant to LA, and
> its goals as an organisation.

How are TV audiences irrelevent?

> It is not LA's responsibility to answer Microsoft's brand advertising. As
> our industry becomes more relevant to the consumer market, companies will
> step up to the plate to do that. Our audience - as in, Linux Australia's
> audience - is something else entirely.

What companies? We have consultacies, etc., but not Red Hat or VA.

> The kind of market that LA should be targeting (if at all) is early adopters
> of information technology. You *won't* get to them (us!) via television. We
> are a tough demographic to crack, and hopefully we're smart enough to grok
> that conventional advertising is not going to be effective for people like
> us. Right?

No. Every IT guy knows about Linux and I would guess that 90% of them
have used Linux some time. We need to tell *everyone else*.

> [1] Unless it expressed something enormously broad like information freedom,
> but how many people who watch TV would even begin to see relevance in that?

Express why people should use Linux. Just something simple - Linux is
virusfree, stable, secure. Visit linux.org.au for more info or visit
<insert local LUG details here>.

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.