[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [dunlug] Open source beer recipe!]

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Dec 9 08:41:02 UTC 2005

On Friday,  2 December 2005 at 18:32:57 +1100, Karin Purser wrote:
> "What's this "Vores Øl"?
>
> Vores Øl (Our Beer) is a great tasting energetic beer and it's the
> world's first open source beer!

What makes it more open source than every other recipe out there?

> It is based on classic ale brewing traditions

"loosely based".

> but with added guarana for a natural energy-boost. Version
> 1.0 is a medium strong beer (6% vol) with a deep golden red color and an
> original but familiar taste....
> We think that our open source beer is a nice twist on this quote, and we
> think it is interesting to see if our beer grows stronger, out in the
> free, and perhaps one day becomes the Linux of beers.
> Who knows?" http://www.voresoel.dk/main.php?id=70

The recipe looks really strange.  The mash temperature is far too low
for complete saccharification (it just manages to kill the proteins
that give the beer a head), and it uses far too much sugar in
proportion.  I'm not sure what the Guarana beans do (apart from making
it less beer-like, I suppose).  In general, I wouldn't even bother
trying this recipe.

Note that just about *all* available beer recipes are "open source".
I've never seen one that restricted distribution.  Much better ideas
are to be had at the Australian Craftbrewer's web site,
http://oz.craftbrewer.org/.  I have many more links at
http://wwww.lemis.com/beer.html.

Greg