[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au

Nick Phillips Nick.Phillips at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Tue Dec 6 09:59:01 UTC 2005

On 6/12/2005, at 12:31 PM, Michael Still wrote:

> Nick Phillips wrote:
>> On 5/12/2005, at 9:36 AM, Dassa wrote:
>>> I'm getting a connection refused when I try to get there.
>> Thanks again. Restarted it again. Get in now while the damn thing
>> is  still up!
>> Looks like we need to have a serious look at it :-(
>
> Given there is money riding on some LA machines being up (I'm
> thinking the LCA machine more than others), and that there is
> certainly "reputational capital" riding on the other machines being
> up, is it time to roll out some sort of monitoring solution for
> those machines?
>
> I'm willing to put some spare time if I ever have any into looking
> into it if people think it's a good idea.

I think some kind of monitoring would be a good idea -- it just looks
extremely amateurish to have the main site for something like this
yoyoing frantically the whole time.

That said, it would be better to work out what the problem is and fix
it. However, if we can do both...

Andrew -- can you give us any more details about what was going on
that meant we had to reboot the UML yesterday? Could that have been
causing the problems we were seeing inside the UML?

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips / +64 3 479 4195 / nick.phillips at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
# these statements are my own, not those of the University of Otago