[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Janet Hawtin lucychilli at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 3 14:39:02 UTC 2005

Pia Waugh wrote:
> I think this isn't only a question of what we want, would the NZ LUGs be
> happy to be under an Australian banner? I'm chatting to Matt about this too
> atm, and I personally think that it makes more sense for there to be a Linux
> NZ (or FOSS NZ, or whatever!) and for us to work closely with them on
> regional issues. I know that as a SLUG person (Sydney LUG) I probably
> wouldn't be comfortable coming under the banner of an overseas national FOSS
> org, so why would their LUGs feel that way? Our national FTA, ICT industry
> and other issues are closely tied in with what the government and Aussie
> industry is doing, and we can't expect LA to be seen to be adequately
> representative of NZ LUGs in the same way, even if there was an NZ
> sub-committee or something. Linux NZ would be able to be stronger in its
> local lobbying than trying to lobby as Linux Australia.

I agree with this. AU law is different from NZ law.
The kinds of lobbying we need to do here could well be irrelevant for
the NZ environment. Teh kinds of lobbying they would like to do may be
hard to do from here with little understanding of local context.
Peers and partners, but no need to 'own' each other I feel.

What kinds of programs would it be nice to organise in a regional way?
Perhaps there could be projects which are more broadly based?
Did this question come up because there is something which is not being
done because we have a patch of water in the way?
Is there something specific which we could do better as a united group?

cheers

janet