[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Dec 3 14:34:02 UTC 2005

Hey Andrew,

<quote who="Andrew Donnellan">

> "although I think we are on a path where we are getting to be able to
> do that only now".
> Well, let's start doing it now.

OK :)

> An advocacy subctte is great! It would be more effective if we
> included more groups into it, i think. Also, mainstream media advocacy
> (newspapers, tv, radio, billboards) is something we'll have to think
> about for the long term.

We have some great relationships with some awesome journos who help out with
some of this, one great guy has even offered to write a little "howto deal
with the media" for the community (nudge nudge if he reads this ;). There is
an offer on the books at the moment for a column about FOSS to be written
every month, we just need to find writers who are willing to ensure it
happens regularly. We've also been offered a reduced price column in an
education magazine that targets schools all around Australia (quarterly
magazine). There is a lot of offers, and we have the credibility to run with
it right now, we just need enthusiastic people to help out and put in just a
little time. Hence James' call fr the press committee and my call for the
advocacy ctte (they'll likely overlap strongly). So who wants to help out?
:)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                      "What are we doing today brain?"
              "We're taking over the world like we always do."
                           - Pinky and the Brain