[Linux-aus] Mails from LA voting site?

Andrew Pollock me at andrew.net.au
Mon Dec 12 08:16:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:46:38AM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> On 12/12/05, Stewart Smith <stewart at flamingspork.com> wrote:
>
> > The ability to make this happen easily has been sitting in the MemberDB
> > source tree for a while. To put it into production however, we need
> > MySQL 5 on digital.
>
> Great, thanks Stewart! Maybe someone on the Admin team (CCd on this)
> can take care of upgrading MySQL.

Stewart's already raised this, and it is technical unviable at the present
time. Alternatives have been proposed.

Executive summary: Stewart asked for MySQL 5. MySQL 5 isn't packaged for
Debian in any way shape or form at present, so it can't even be backported.
We have asked if MySQL 5 is a "want" or a "need". I can't remember the
answer to that one off the top of my head. The alternative is to do an
installation from source in a UML instance on the UML hosting server,
provided doing so doesn't negatively impact the lca2006 UML instance.

That's the best we do. I don't personally want to have a from-source
installation on digital in addition to the packaged installation, as this
could get messy. If the UML instance gets into a mess, it can be easily
purged, especially if its sole task is to do MemberDB stuff.

regards

Andrew