[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [Osia-discuss] IDG World Expo and AES Launch LinuxWorld Conference & Expo in Australia]

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Apr 30 19:14:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Andrew Cowie wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:29:35 +1000
> From: Andrew Cowie <andrew at operationaldynamics.com>
> To: linux-aus <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] [Fwd: [Osia-discuss] IDG World Expo and AES Launch
>     LinuxWorld Conference & Expo in Australia]
>
> On Fri, 2005-29-04 at 14:17 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> I see the danger here not in LW replacing LCA, but in PHBs who might
>>> otherwise channel sponsorship for LCA *thinking* of it as a replacement.
>
>> What have Public Health Boards got to do with the Linux conference?
>
> Bret,
>
> You have an unbelievable capacity for inanity.
>
> PHB is Pointy Haired Boss. Everyone who has ever read Dilbert knows this
> - and even if you didn't know about it you could *still* infer this as
> obvious from the context of Leon's remark. Referring to managers who may
> not quite get the point as PHBs has been a standing joke across the
> entire business world for ages.
>
> What's worse is I suspect you knew that full well. Your remark just
> makes you look silly and inconsequential - which is a shame, because you
> do, on occasion, make a serious, insightful, and valuable contribution.
>
> AfC
> Sydney
>
> --
> Andrew Frederick Cowie
> Management Consultant

I had no idea that it was a reference to "Pointy Haired Bosses".

I do not frequently read Dilbert, so I have no idea as to where you
would get the impression that I would know that PHB stands for Pointy
Haired Boss.

All I remember of the Dilbert cartoons, is that a person named Dilbert
is involved, the  staff are employed in cubicles, and some wierd office
politics occurs.

You response appears indicative of the problem - not everyone knows what
you mean, if you do not communicate using common English. And, when
people can't be bothered communicating using a common language, or,
accepting that people may not understand terms that are not in common
usage, and use derogatory comments to belittle people who are
unfamiliar with jargon, then it is no wonder that the world is more
fuill of conflicts and bloodshed, than harmony.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."