[Linux-aus] MPAA "Worlwide Anti-Piracy"

David Newall davidn at rebel.net.au
Thu Sep 23 16:21:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 14:38, Matthew Geddes wrote:
> It's probably worth reminding you that many of our mailing lists have
> publically googleable archives and even though most of us assume
> sarcasm, it's always possible that this will come back and bite someone
> on the arse.

Gee, being the typical Joe Public that I am, when I see something on a
reputable mailing list such as linuxsa, I assume it's got reasonable
likelihood of being true.  So when I see an allegation from MPAA
claiming that Linux Australia is illegally serving up copyrighted
materials I naturally assume it's accurate.  Or so it could be claimed
in court...

> It's clearly an automated job that looks for certain patterns in pages
> and sends an e-mail based on that.

Automated libel.  What will they think of next.