[Linux-aus] Uniting Linux - good or bad?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Sep 17 02:57:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 08:30:47AM -0400, Jon maddog Hall wrote:
> aj at azure.humbug.org.au said:
> > The LSB's been coming RSN for ages; it's still a good idea that's only
> > getting better, but it hasn't actually succeeded yet. Think of it like a car
> > bogged in sand, wheels spinning furiously -- not going anywhere at the
> > moment, maybe, but as soon as it gets the right traction, it's outta here.
> An interesting observation, and one that ends on the "upbeat".

Hrm, maybe it's worth making the analogy clearer; I'm looking at the
car as being the standard itself (and the process of maintaining it),
and the traction as being mindshare amongst ISVs. TTBOMK major (and
minor) non-free apps like Win4Lin, VMware, Oracle, Java and so on don't
make use of the LSB standard, and nor do most third party free apps,
like OpenOffice.org or the latest Gnome release, eg -- though I've not
being paying attention recently, so I could be wrong.

> [rest deleted]

But that said, I'm completely pro-LSB -- and I'm all for encouraging
folks to get behind it and give it a bit of a push.

Cheers,
a "abused analogies 'r us" j

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.