[Linux-aus] Linux/IT stuff I noticed in Aus

lug at phormix.com lug at phormix.com
Fri Sep 10 12:24:01 UTC 2004

Actually, one of the things I was fairly interested in while I was in Aus
was the FT Agreements. For awhile Canadians were really getting the
smackdown from US based on messed up copyright laws that snuck in with
FTA. Lately we've been a lot better here though, rejecting RIAA claims
again ISPs and other niceties.
Of course, in Aus you have the DrinkOrDie member who is being expedited to
the USA... a lot of people were speaking out about that due to the fact
that he is being extradited for breaking US law, but wouldn't there be a
local equivilent (and what happens if he's convicted, where does he end
up?).
Sadly, I'm still a linux geek to the core. I spent a decent portion of the
latter hours during my holidays trying to install a 'nix system and
figured out how dialup and winmodems work. Do you know how long a 150MB
"apt-get update" takes on dialup?
The quality/pricing of high-speed and scarcity in smaller towns was one of
the shockers in Aus. Here I live in a small town, pay my $80/mo for my
fast+dedicated business line ($25/mo for home connect, but high
limits/caps)... Aus I think I saw a 500MB limit which I could burn through
here in about... oh... less than an hour.
But anyhow, I'm sure I can find something of interest to bring up. That,
or if you have questions for your Canadian counterparts, I'm also on the
local LUGs.
And FYI, no need to CC me on emails as I'm in the list, otherwise I get
dupes :-)

Cheers,

Tyler Aviss
phormix.com admin
http://phorm.phormix.com

Athlon XP 2500 - Windows XP, Debian/Unstable (desktop)
Athlon XP 1800 - Windows XP (desktop)
K6-2/400 - Debian/Stable (webserver)
G3 Mac - OSX (plaything, paperweight)
Via Nehemiah 800Mhz - Debian/stable (LAN server)
Via Epia M 1Ghz - Portable desktop
Celeron 800 Ghz - Windows ME (for AMR winmodem), Debian/Unstable (laptop)

Linux desktop: Debian/unstable, IceWM, iDesk. Everything windows can do I
can do better (except games)