[Linux-aus] What do you hope for LA? Was: List alive?

greebo at pipka.org greebo at pipka.org
Fri Sep 10 10:14:02 UTC 2004

Ryan Verner writes:
>> This list used to be quite noisy.. what happened?
>
> List seems to be quite active when there's LA going-ons, such as LCA or the AGM.

And crazy free trade agreement crack ;) For the last few years around July
August was when it all slowed down a bit too, probably due to people being
busy catching up with pre-financial year end work, doing their own taxes,
etc etc. I'm looking forward to the flurry returning, and some of our news
along with the new website will probably poke that somewhat. Coming soon :)

This is probably a good chance to ask where people would like this mailing
list to go? Thus far, particularly over the last year and a half it has been
a forum for discussions about a range of topics, a lot of which were to do
with where LA is going, what we are up to, current events, issues etc. What
else would the list be useful for? Should we try to keep it within those
bounds? We have a LUG mailing list which has largely been unused, maybe we
could move some LUG news here and encourage wider posting of projects, news
and LUG activities? In the half year report (will post on the weekend!) we
have a new set of communication strategies for LA with the LUGs, as it is so
important to focus on that.

Are people generally interested in more political issues with Open Source?
Business issues? Community issues? Legal issues? One and a half years ago I
approached many people at LCA2003 with questions about what they wanted for
LA, what was needed for the Australian OS community and businesses. I've
been asking that question ever since, and I'll open that question again and
we can see how it goes :) LA has been a combined effort of the many people
participating, and through this, we can all draw a path that is useful and
relevant.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pia