[Linux-aus] New website rocks!

Del del at babel.com.au
Thu Sep 23 15:18:03 UTC 2004

Pia Smith wrote:
> So LA have our new website. Finally! :)
>
> http://www.linux.org.au. Any breakages reported would be much
> appreciated!

Hi,

In reference to:

http://www.linux.org.au/australia/linux-orgs.php

I disagree with your classification of the ACS as an industry group
(alongside OSIA), while you classify the AUUG as a community group.

Both groups are formed from individual members of the computing
and IT community.  As you will be aware, AUUG focuses entirely
on open systems users whereas the ACS attracts members from all
ends of the IT spectrum.  However they are both still about individual
members, regardless of what industry they work in, and are therefore
not industry associations.  They are both more correctly classified
as professional associations, being organisations formed from
individual professional members.  Although the AUUG accepts corporate
members (and the ACS does not), neither organisation can be called
an industry association because neither organisation has members that
are primarily corporates within one industry.

OSIA on the other hand, like AIIA and ATUG, is an industry association,
as it represents the open source industry, rather than individual
open source users.  OSIA members are corporate entities -- the OSIA
has no means to admit an individual person as a member (except that
act as a company or registered business).

If I was to re-draw this diagram, I would put Linux Australia at
one end with the LUGs to represent the community; SAGE, AUUG, and
ACS in the middle as professional associations; and OSIA and the
industry roundtable at the other end under "industry".

Quoting from web sites:

"SLUG members are made up of professionals, semi-professionals,
hobbyists, and just those who like to play and gain knowledge of
Linux ..."

"The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is the recognised association
for Information & Communication Technology (ICT) professionals ..."

"[AUUG] members are professionals who care about

     * Unix operating systems from proprietary vendors
     * Linux, BSD and other Open Source operating systems ..."

"OSIA is the national industry body for Open Source within Australia."

--
Del