[Linux-aus] FTA and IP issues

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Fri Nov 26 13:21:01 UTC 2004

Hi all,

maybe we should consider:

        o forming our own "EU" of Australia/Asia Pacific
        o getting capital from Europe, Japan, Korea, etc. not from the
USA for these kinds of initiatives
        o contacting the IOSN network about support for such a project

I'm concerned about the direction of things, and call upon all people
concerned to voice their ideas and initiatives.

Linux Australia currently:

- is running Open Source Forums to address issues of relevance (patents,
anti-circumvention)
- is trying to assist any interested org, gov or company with shaping
their Open Source and IP policies
- is writing papers and getting lawyers involved
- is attending and speaking at various conferences to educate people
- is on various international mailing lists trying to stay across the
board

What can you do? What can we help you do? What can we as a community
achieve together to address our collective concerns and better educate
ourselves on the issues?

Cheers,
Pia

--