[Linux-aus] RELEASE: DON'T LET YOUR VENDOR'S ROADMAP LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed May 12 17:35:01 UTC 2004

<quote who="Con Zymaris">

> So, the mere fact that Microsoft is touting their roadmaps as a
> 'positive', and as an advantage over FOSS, is a message that needs to be
> 'corrected' in the public perception. Thus this the press release.

> Indeed, no one claimed there wasn't. FOSS projects, however, do not claim
> that the existence of a roadmap as a marketing advantage over competing
> platforms, because, as we all know, roadmaps can change. The illusion of
> platform stability that a roadmap offers users, is therefore a dangerous
> thing.

This is why I think you should talk more about Microsoft, and less about
proprietary software. :-) This kind of behaviour with any infrastructure as
dominant as Microsoft's would cause the same problem; conversely, there are
a hundred proprietary software developers pushing roadmaps that I don't care
about at all. :-)

Surviving a roadmap change in a niche market would probably be as costly
against FOSS as it would be against a proprietary software company.

- Jeff

    I wanted to be Superman, but all I got were these special powers of
                             self-deprecation.