[Linux-aus] Hardware resellers of the world, rejoice!

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu May 6 14:17:01 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Thursday 06 May 2004 11:21 am, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ben Jensz">
>
> > I reckon that must be a load of ...... .
> >
> > I seriously don't think even Microsoft are that insane.

dont forget that in 2-4 years when long horn gets out  we will probably have
cpus with multiple cores  on them  most people currently have 512-1024MB ram
and the rate that video cards are released  its not that much of a stretch.
Just need to replace the PCI bus with something faster

I have a feeling that they wont get longhorn out till Late 2007 - early 2008.
> It is consistent with previous releases and hardware cycles. They can and
> do drive hardware up. If you're calling them insane because you think it
> won't happen, I don't think it's insane at all.

I totally agree  its one way they can try and stay ahead of the Linux kernel
by forcing hardware vendors to release newer hardware  and keep the specs to
themselves

> However, this time, there's a viable competitor on track which might be a
> better option when it comes to release date and decision time. *That* is
> not consistent with Microsoft's past experience...

Maybe something to look at for here
http://www.newsforge.com/os/04/05/03/1520209.shtml