[Linux-aus] Sun's Linux Compatibility Assurance Toolkit

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Mar 4 18:26:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:04:44AM +1100, Hugh Madden wrote:
> this made me laugh.. it is called the "Linux Compatibility Assurance
> Toolkit", however from the web page at:
> http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/solaris/downloads/lincat/
>
> "This utility analyzes the difficulty of porting such source files from
> Linux to the Solaris Operating System (OS), and it can help you estimate
> the total effort required for the port."
>
> I think it should be called the "Solaris Compatibility Assurance
> Toolkit" :)

QED the 'Sun Java Desktop Environment': 99% Linux, 1% Java ;-)

Pride and branding are fragile things...

In the end, it doesn't matter that firms play within the FOSS space
on their own terms, as long as they do indeed play, and play nice and by
the rules.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477