[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] GrokLaw has full text of complaint up now

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Mar 4 14:38:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:08, Del wrote:
> I don't sell hardware or products so the cost of a SCO license
> wouldn't impact on the cost of the products that I (don't) sell.
> My business is entirely services oriented.

My problem (and it's not been a majority of customers by any means,
mainly the larger-sized ones) is that customers are refusing to use
Open Source software and Linux in particular because of the perceived
risk of getting sued.

As I explained in several places, a typical attitude is "I know it's
complete bunkum but the rules this [department/company/whatever] play
by don't allow me to use anything with a perceived risk attached."

One of them even went as far as saying, "...and it's not me that has to
do the perception, it's those [stet] PR people," and went on at length
about how much fun it was to have your working life ruled by people
without the veriest taint of a technical clue. He also mentioned that
Microsoft was a definite risk in many ways, pointing out myDoom as an
example, but same PR types weren't buying that.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia