[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] MEDIA RELEASE: Open Source Industry Australia - National Body Launched

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Tue Mar 2 06:53:01 UTC 2004

Hugh Madden <hugh at openstrategy.com.au> wrote:

I really like the workshop idea targeted at IT managers.
<<

OK, I'll step up to the plate. I already have a two-day course on Linux
Security, plus experience presenting other Linux security sessions at
conferences in Australia and Europe, so I could easily abstract material
from it to create a half-day workshop or seminar on system hardening,
intrusion detection, etc. I'll volunteer my time and the materials to do
it. (Of course, I have materials on many other topics, too, but this looks
like a good starting point).

I can approach the topic either at high level (overview of security
controls and technology available in Linux/FOSS, perhaps mapped to
BS7799.2, with links to further reading) or low level (here's a box: let's
harden it, then build a firewall or Snort sensor). It depends on who we're
targetting with this, so some strategy discussion might be appropriate
here. If we're targetting decision makers and system architects in
government and corporations, a higher-level approach would work better, I
think. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]