[Linux-aus] Headline - Gates, Howard launch $40m project

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jun 30 08:21:02 UTC 2004

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:05:53PM +1000, Pia Smith wrote:
>
>>Gates, Howard launch $40m project
>> Sydney
>>June 28, 2004
>

>>Personal Message:
>>We _really_ need to get organised. We should be organising these kinds
>>of initiatives. We should be supporting computerbank more as we are losing
>>this battle. What good will 100 microsoft driven community centres do,
>>when they get caught in the loop, and start spending community money
>>sustaining the microsoft environment? We could always offer the gov an
>>alt way to spend the generous donation ;)
>

> From the report, the govt isn't spending the donation, the "community
> organisations" are.

And it's not clear whether it is cash or in-kind. If it is in-kind, then
these organisations still need to find people resources, venues and
computer hardware.

I would be concerned about the basis on which some groups have accepted
donated hardware, especially from government, as you may find that the
now refurbished hardware will be to complement this charity donation.

> If you want to be cruel on multiple levels, the
> obvious thing to do is to set up a similar project with ComputerBank,

Don't forget Computer Angels :)

We have been asked to partner with a couple of these organisations as we
had the people resources and donated hardware. We declined as they had
nothing to offer us, except perhaps in the way of premises at that time.
So, we are paying for our independence in the way of rent in a premises
our choosing.

Now that these organisations have had a shot in the arm from the latest
"charity donation", we will be able to refer their constituents to them
as clients of this new initiative :)

> do as good or better job both statistically (computers supplied,
> families helped, centres started) and anecdotally (nice stories about
> kids and adults doing clever things and getting on the Internet and
> whatever); then do a comparative report about how much better a result
> some kind-spirited local volunteers and small Australian businesses can
> achieve with open source products, than foreign billionaires can manage
> with their chequebooks.

Agreed. And what money can't buy is our volunteers :)

All the best
Jacqueline McNally

--
wOO hOO! OOo for three whole days