[Linux-aus] Quality of commercial hardware

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Jun 25 12:54:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:43:51AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> OK, I admit it, I gave in to the dark side.  A couple of months ago I
> decided that "SANE" stood for "Scanner Access Not Easy" and that [...]

Huh, I bought a cheap HP all-in-one a while ago, and found SANE more or
less "just worked" with it. Had to spend a little more effort trying to
figure out which app had a suitable UI (I think I ended up using one of
the KDE ones), but otherwise it was pretty easy, if not perfectly smooth
plug&play. OTOH, I haven't tried either an automatic feeder of any sort,
nor any slide scanning.

> 1.  If I accept the refund, I have to go and find another scanner and
>     go through the pain of installing either the Microsoft-based stuff
>     that they supply (and who knows if it will be any better), or
>     SANE, which in the past I have found a real pain.

If you can find some stores that have scanners out of the box and on
display, you could bring a long a laptop and try out their SANE support
before buying; presuming your problems with SANE are scanner-specific
rather than more general anyway.

> I'd be interested in any kind of discussion, including ideas on what
> to replace the scanner with.

AFAIK, HP make a point of supporting SANE, fwiw.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.