[Linux-aus] Travel Grant Application

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Jun 16 14:09:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:16:25PM +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> It might be possible for Daniel and Jeff to have their cake and eat it
> too with a bit of proposal re-engineering. If [... payment is made] after
> *acceptance* of said document by the LA committee, now *that* would be a
> pointy outcome. It would be very easy to see how that helps those LA
> represents [...]
>
> Maybe LA should make it clear in their guidelines that pointy proposals
> prosper but diffuse diversions die.

Hrm, one of the requirements for running a non-profit (which is how LA
gets to avoid paying tax on its annual profits, and delay registering
for GST longer than would've otherwise been necessary) is that you
don't just give money to members. Having grants require a clear pro-free
software outcome would probably provide a better justification that this
is what LA's doing, than, say...

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:13:47PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> I'd also like to apply for a travel grant. Just one.

> [...] The beer in Germany is very good, and I haven't had much of
> it, so sampling the fine brews of this country, steeped in history, will
> clearly drain my budget [...]

...would. Having Oz hax0rs go overseas and give a presentation is probably
a specific enough outcome benefiting LA's aims to qualify; having Oz
hax0rs go overseas and drink beer probably isn't.

Given that we try to avoid giving too much sponsorship even for speakers
at our own conference, it's probably also worth considering keeping the
bar reasonably high for these grants for consistency's sake...

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.