[Linux-aus] Travel Grant Application

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jun 15 12:54:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:16:25PM +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> It might be possible for Daniel and Jeff to have their cake and eat it
> too with a bit of proposal re-engineering. If some respected developer
> with communications cred was attending a GUI conference and in exchange
> for LA funding commits to developing "Making Free GUIs Conform to
> Government Tender Responses", with funding payment due after
> *acceptance* of said document by the LA committee, now *that* would be a
> pointy outcome. It would be very easy to see how that helps those LA
> represents (which, I infer from various LA statements, extends to more
> than their signed-up members.) And Gnome, KDE and whatnot would also get
> the benefit these respected developers want to contribute in attending.

I, for one, know I wouldn't be able to pay for the flights and have that
sitting on my credit card (where it would have to sit), until I wrote a
document and had it cleared.

> Maybe Australian-based members of particular projects might be better
> off asking for targetted donations to be sent to the appropriate body
> (gnome.org, kde.org, samba.org etc) specifying that the amount is for
> person X to be sent to conference Y (or a direct donation to the
> developer naturally, but this is then much less accountable.) This still
> may make sense for Australians because it is good for the health of
> local free software to have well-informed, happy experts in our
> timezone.

How would LA paying KDE e.V. to send me to Stuttgart (for instance) be
any better? That way, you have LA -> KDE e.V. -> studentflights (or
whoever), as opposed to LA -> studentflights.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,