[Linux-aus] AUSFTA - time to start doing more

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Thu Jun 3 18:43:01 UTC 2004

Hi Brendon,

I agree - if there's a problem then a better example should be used - but
having an article pulled from smh doesn't make it less real.

Looking at the patent in question (see
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,727,830.WKU.&OS=PN/6,727,830&RS=PN/6,727,830)
it appears to talk about single clicks, double clicks and long clicks as
differentiators of functional behaviour on a "limited resource computing
device".  While not as broad in scope as the original claim, it still
seems a little bit trivial to be granted a patent on double clicking on a
PDA.

So a more relevant example should be cited - but this patent grant is
still wrong (but IANAL).  [Note to self - do more research before using
on-line articles as reference sources]

I was trying to point out that (bad) software patents continue to be
granted - so we should make use of this great opportunity with the AUSFTA
to ensure Australia doesn't go down the same patent path - and inherit the
same legal minefield as in the USA.

Thanks for noticing a problem,

Michael...

<quote who="Brendon Chase">