[Linux-aus] DFAT, Open Source and the FTA

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Jul 17 16:24:04 UTC 2004

?

> Ms Harmer: I may be incorrect, but I think the concern about the
> proprietary rights in relation to things actually relates to a concern
> about patents [...]

That's fairly accurate: the copyright concerns we have are issues of
whether DVD players, PDF readers, etc will be classed as circumvention
devices and that we won't be able to write them in the first place; the
concerns we have about whether stuff we can write ends up controlled by
other folks are all patent related.

That didn't read to me like Ms Harmer was saying that was our only
concern, just the one the senator was referring to.

YMMV, obviously.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.