[Linux-aus] MEDIA RELEASE: OSIA: WE HAVE THE SOLUTION TO SOFTWARE PIRACY.

Jason King pizza at netspace.net.au
Fri Jul 16 11:40:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 15:00, David Ruwoldt wrote:
> What happens when IP is found in some open source software that was not
> legally distributed?
>
> Who indemnifies the customer running the illegal software?

I'm not a lawyer either.

I'm aware that certain american companies have been pushing the idea
that you need legal "indemnification" for running OSS software , and
that several other companies (redhat and others) have started to offer
it....

But is it necessary?  does Australian copyright law extend so far as to
punish, say, the reader of a book when it is discovered that the writer
of said book copied someone elses work?