[Linux-aus] _This_ is a bit of a jawdropper...

Brent Wallis (IS) brent at wallis.id.au
Wed Jul 7 14:08:01 UTC 2004

Hi All,

You know, if one was to try and describe the nature of an "event" that would seriosly affect our MS friends business, this current IE problem comes very close.

The realities are:

- A significant portion of their own and ISV software relies on the little "breaks/shortcuts" in protocols that are causing grief at the moment.

- The MS "patch" released on the weekend was just a change to browser security settings no ACTUAL patch to address the issue.

- Applying the "patch" or for that matter changing the security settings "breaks" a hell of a lot of "function" in the IE/IIS intergated software space.

- It "seems" that the required fixes will break all those little shortcuts they took with 3rd party apps.

A classic catch 22. At the moment, the exploit is not malicious, but if it were
I could go so far as to say that based on experiences the last few days, that a significant portion of the business community whose sole IT vendor is MS could suffer some very dramatic and extremely difficult to solve problems.

Believe it or not, I truly wish the MS boys would hurry up and get their act together because an IT sector that suddenly and unexpectedly loses the ability to use MS software because of a catch 22 like this would affect us ALL in very bad ways....

Leon Brooks <leon at cyberknights.com.au> wrote ..