Re: [Linux-aus] LCA2006: Dunedin

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:36, Michael Still wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> The same restriction would apply to many internationals going to a
>> conf in Broome, Darwin, Hobart or Cairns.

> I thought Qantas used Cairns as an international port now.

>From for some flights, yes. Likewise Broome. The Alice is an interesting
case 'coz while not normal international flights land there directly,
it seems to have reasonably good direct access to all international
airports in Oz, plus Adelaide and Darwin. I guess there is virtue in
being right in the middle of things.

One of the airlines (Singapore?) even bounces a jet off Port Hedland
occasionally. I don't know that they change many passengers there, but
the ones they do change must be eternally grateful for the many
seat-hours and dis/re-embarkations they save.

> I think the international landing element is a bit of a red herring.
> We don't have troubles convincing foreigners to come here for the
> conference, cause we're way cool.

Good point.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group