[Linux-aus] Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?

Mathew Robertson mathew at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 31 06:08:02 UTC 2004

> > $10 million is a lot of computers that they could be buying.  I mean
> > think if they are spending $1200 per computer, saving $10 million
> > means they could buy well over 8000 extra computers.  Thats something
> > to definitely make you stop and think about isn't it?
>
> Why are you looking at the prices of the computers. Microsoft isn't
> selling computers to these educational institutes.

Hi Anshul,

You missed the point Ben was trying to make.

The state government gives Microsoft $10M per year to use their software.
Rather than give MS that money, they should pay a few local system
administrators to install linux on the machines, which has two benefits:
a) local talent is fostered,
b) any money left over, can go to buying hardware

We all know MS doesn't sell PC's to government, but we also know that the
$10M can be better utilised.

Mathew