[Linux-aus] LCA2006

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Jan 24 14:16:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 05:19:54PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ben Jensz wrote:
> [... dude, please learn to quote]
>
> And neither do Air NZ, or Virgin Blue/Pacific Blue, have international
> flights to Dunedin.
>
> All require an additional flight to Dunedin, whether it be from
> Christchurch (the closest international airport), Queenstown
> (one route from Sydney, via Air NZ), Wellington or Auckland.
>
> Mind you, if you've got heaps of money, and, don't mind the 16-20 hours
> of travel, that it is expected to take to get from Perth to Dunedin, the
> conference may as well be in Europe or Africa, for the proximity to
> Perth, and, the cost.

Given it only takes 24 hours to travel to London, of all places, are you
really sure it's going to take virtually a day of straight flying to get
to New Zealand, which is just next door?

> I expect that people from the NT, would have similar problems, in
> attending a conference in Dunedin.

Yeah, and people from Tassie, Victoria, et al, had problems in getting
to Perth. You can't please all of the people, all of the time.

> Oh, and, don't forget, for those that do not already have a passport,
> that is an extra hundred dollars (plus photo's, if you need them done),
> to add on to the conference costs, the GST's (NZ GST on the conference
> fees, and Australian GST on the Australian components of the fees, and
> on the NZ GST and on the NZ components), the air fares, the
> accommodation, the international travel insurance, which would need to
> include international medical insurance, etc.

Air fares and accommodation are reasonably core components of any
conference, dude, and last time I had 4 passport photos done, I paid the
kingly random of $10 (by comparison, beer is about $6/pint, so just
drink that little bit less), and you have to pay .au GST on LCA's in
Australia. I don't think taxes will be any problem whatsoever.

As for international insurance, you can get it if you want, but no-one's
slamming it down your throat. Passports are really the only avoidable
stumbling block - I'd personally prefer not to have to shell out an
extra $180, but if I get an international holiday while I'm there, why
not?

> Why not just buy a Windows Server 2003 multi-user licence, or RHEL3 and
> SAP? It would be cheaper, apparently, than attending such a Linux
> conference.

You're more than welcome to.

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,