[Linux-aus] State representation on the board: vision for LA

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Jan 9 16:06:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:37, Paul Shirren wrote:
> Living outside a capital city, and closer to NSW and Vic than
> Adelaide, I can see some weaknesses to the state rep argument.

Talk to Ben Jensz about that. I'm his closest rep and he's 24 hours'
drive north of me. Next closest would actually be Brisbane if we had
one there, then Canberra.

> The idea that you have to cosy up to some local rep in real life
> to get the low down on LA activities seems more elitist and
> exclusionary to me than an LA which is run openly and which
> takes an active role communicating with its membership.

Well said.

> Every state has something different to contribute and its own
> proud achievements.

Yes, especially WA.

> LA could perhaps lift its game on point 3, communication with
> membership.

Yes. AfC is considering a newsletter which I guess counts as "regular
announcements". Several of the minutes were held up pending legal
advice, otherwise they tracked reasonably well (typically a week or two
after the meeting, modulo that legal issue plus one delay while AfC was
uber-busy overseas).

> As for getting matters raised
> with LA I am not sure a local member is going to be any more
> accessable or effective than emailing committee at linux.org.au.

I have a policy of sending at least an ACK if I see an alien message and
nobody else has ACKed it.

Perhaps we can nominate a list monkey and list backup monkey
(http://www.nightflight.com/foldoc-bin/foldoc.cgi?scratch+monkey) for
this very purpose, from among those Committee who are usually near an
email client?

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA