[Linux-aus] State representation on the board

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 23:18:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Stewart Smith">

> The reasoning behind this move was as follows:
> - we believed that the group of people who had the most familiarity with
> the groups wanting to host lca05 was the LA committee (as we had been
> talking to all relevant groups)
> - the venue for the lca05 conf had other parties interested in the venue
> (and in fact, one possible set of dates was ruled out by being booked by
> another group) and so confirmation ASAP was desirable so that we ended
> up with the best possible venue.

These are kind-of-almost-okay-fine reasons that make me feel only slightly
better about it, but I'll accept them. Hopefully that's lukewarm enough to
make my point. ;-)

> The issue of only a small number of people making the decision (the LA
> ctte) was raised as a concern - and it was pointed out that any decision
> made previously was only done by a small group, so we weren't really
> breaking with any tradition.

You did. The crucial difference is that by doing it at LCA, all interested
parties were able to sit down and talk it out. Potential hosts, previous
hosts and at last year's at least, the committee. Sure, it reduces the lead
time organisers get for the event, but if an equivalent process with as much
involvement can be found (as you suggested in your next para), I would be
happy to support it. But I personally feel, particularly after being one of
the linux.conf.au organisers in 2001, that this is a very important... hm...
tradition or institution to keep alive.

> I think you've just convinced me that regular summaries/newsletter type
> things are a Real Good Idea(tm) to keep the communication levels up.

Good, good, good. Enquiring minds want to know. And I want you guys to say
stuff so people stop assuming that I know everything through Pia. I don't.

- Jeff

    "And the only time I met George W Bush, he said to me, 'Hey Mike! Go
              find real work.' Of all people!" - Michael Moore