[Linux-aus] GNOME.conf.au Schedule

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Jan 8 19:50:02 UTC 2004

GNOME.conf.au
=============

Let's get ready to rumble GNOME lovers, it's only FIVE DAYS away! It's so
close I can almost smell it. Adelaide, that is. Yay! Ad hominems a-go-go!

  GNOME.conf.au: http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/2004/gnome.conf.au/

  linux.conf.au: http://lca2004.linux.org.au/

When? Where?
------------

Tuesday, 13th January 2004, in the great city of Adelaide, in co-operation
with Australia's premier Free Software and Open Source developer's
conference, linux.conf.au! Check out their site for all the details on the
main conference. It's going to kick serious arse again!

Note that you must be attending the full conference to join in with the
GNOME.conf.au fun, not that you'd seriously consider missing the main event!

Who? What? Why?
---------------

GNOME.conf.au is a casual get together for GNOME lovers in Australia to meet
with their favourite hackers and discuss all things GNOMEy. Who's coming?
Well, the speakers below, a massive throng of mad, raving GNOME lovers, plus
many other people who haven't told me yet! Be there! Here's what will be
happening on the day (probably easier to read on the website, but anyway):

  Time   Talk                                           Dude
  ----   ----                                           ----

  09:40  Welcome: Start, intros, welcome address        Jeff Waugh

  10:00  Ballet of The Modern Free Desktop: Havoc       Havoc Pennington
         will illustrate - through modern dance and
         abstract poetry - the amazing progress of
         FOSS desktop development in recent times.
         This is a must-see event! [ Yeah, okay,
         he'll be cooking up something interesting on
         the flight over here. :-) ]

  11:00  Preparing for Testing and Hacking on GNOME:    Glynn Foster &
         Find out where to get all the cool stuff you   Jeff Waugh
         need to test GNOME, how to build the very
         latest code to hack on, and all the tools we
         use in day-to-day GNOME hacking. This will
         get you started for Malcolm's tutorial on
         the GNOME Developer Platform on Wednesday!

  12:00  Python and GNOME: Not confirmed, but           James Henstridge
         probably something to do with rapid
         development with GNOME and Python. ;-)

  13:00  Lunch

  14:00  Sun's Java Desktop: Find out what Glynn and    Glynn Foster
         Sun have been up to with the GNOME-based
         Java Desktop System, with demos! Glynn
         ensures me that they will be "exciting".
         Seriously!

  15:00  S-E-X-X-Y: Keith might be a giant? Of course   Keith Packard
         he is! But at GNOME.conf.au, he will
         demonstrate his latest giant contributions
         to the Open Source desktop stack!

  16:00  GNOME.conf.au Q&A Panel: Ask the               The Speakers
         GNOME.conf.au speakers anything. Well,
         almost anything. It would probably help if
         you stayed on topic. But apart from that,
         here's your chance to find out everything
         you always wanted to know about GNOME, but
         were afraid to ask - right from the source!

See you there!

- Jeff