[Linux-aus] Re: Committee accountability

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Jan 8 18:17:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:51, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > That appears to have gone by the wayside, as the committee could
> > > have more power, by requiring physical presence.

> > Can I recommend a thicker, stronger brand of tinfoil?

> What?

Maybe you're already using a thick enough brand.

It's an indirect way of saying "that's an urban conspiracy theory".

> > > And, what happens, for example, if a WA member has an issue about
> > > the operation of the organisation?

> > He mails committee@ just like anyone else. Or talks to his local
> > representative - me. 0409655359

> That was not what I meant.

> What I meant, was, for example (and, without members of the committee
> getting upset about casting of aspersions, they are not being cast,
> just the possibility raised), if the committee did the wrong thing,
> or the organisation went awry, calling it to account. Like, for
> example, the committee setting membership fees at $100 per member,
> with existing committee members at the time of the decision, getting
> HLM's, and, the committee not taking the issues to the membership.

Then the Committee doesn't get re-elected, and possibly gets taken to
task by ASIC or whatever other regulatory body has jurisdiction.

If you don't trust us, don't elect us. Simple?

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia