[Linux-aus] Re: life memberships

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Jan 8 18:03:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:51, Bret Busby wrote:
>> HLM is not an attempt to reward all of them, just people with
>> significant contributions *to*LA*.

> So, for example, Linus Torvalds, as the originator of Linux, would
> not be eligible for an HLM, but a committee member or president might
> be, for their "services to LA"?

Don't know. Nobody's asked yet, but we might officially give him an HLM
for allowing us to use his "Linux" name.

Sorry, was that a positive suggestion?

> You are aware, for example, of "Rusty" Russell's contribution to
> Linux, with ipchains, David Campbells', with the parallel port
> drivers (including the Iomega Zip Drive driver(s)), if my memory is
> correct about those, and, as I have said, there are many people who
> quietly do things of great benefit to the Linux community in
> Australia.

Yeah, I just cited fellow Committeemember Andrew Tridgell for it.

> Surely, those people are equally deserving of HLM's, if HLM's are to
> be awarded?

That's quite possible. Are you proposing that we so do?

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia