[Linux-aus] Re: Committee and subjectivity

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Jan 8 17:58:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:51, Bret Busby wrote:
> That's not my point. Lets say, for example, that I had made some
> great contribution to Linux in Australia (does it have to be directly
> to Linux Australia itself, or, to Linux in Australia?), or, to Linux
> in general. Yet, as can be seen, some on the committee have a great
> aversion to me (some apparently see the merits of my suggestions, but
> this is not to go into that now), and so, could say, "stuff him, we
> don't care what he has done, we don't like him", making the awarding
> subjective, and not objective. When humans are present in decision
> making, subjectiveness occurs, and, can prevail over objectiveness.

Yes. Thank you for your example.

To address your issue directly: you won't escape from subjectivity. I
can't speak for the other Committee members, but I can speak for myself
when I say that I'm careful to divorce feeling from fact when making
important decisions.

If you've made a significant contribution to Linux Australia, or Linux
in Australia, or Linux as an Australian, let's hear about it so we can
decide.

Tridge begat SaMBa and rsync, which are useful enough that he just about
deserves a knighthood for it - and rather than ask anything for it, he
pitched in last January and gave of his time and energy to help with
CPRing LA. If it truly mattered to you, why not do the same? You've got
about 7 hours in which to nominate.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA