[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Thu Jan 8 00:58:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:19:27PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> It is a few years now, since I was involved in an organisation
> (associated with ICANN or IANA, whichever replaced the other), which
> conducted meetings and polls, including elections, over the Internet. It
> is not as if it is new technology - it is old technology, like petrol
> motors. But, still, Linux Australia, like those who believed that horses

Linux Australia is incorporated under the model rules of the Department
of Fairtrading NSW. These are all valid complaints but every association
is required to adopt those rules initially and _then_ perform changes to
them. Alternatively they can develop their own, from scratch.

Most associations don't have the time to modify the model rules straight
away, particularly as they have been vetted by their states
Attorney-General as being okay.

Additionally, the Department of Fair-trading is under no obligation to
accept our amendments, they must be submitted and approved by them once
they have been voted on by our members.

If you actually want to contribute, usefully, perhaps you can raise this
issue of antiquated rules with them. You seem to have a good grasp of
what needs to be changed and I'm sure they will welcome your input.

However you may want to start with your home state, which also has the
same problems you pointed out.

> > If they're a member, they're a member, no matter which state or country
> > they're in.
> >

> Yes, that may be, but, it is like an overseas organisation in which I
> was a member - if you were there, you had a say, and knew what was going
> on, and, had recourse if things went awry, but, in not being where the
> organisation was located, a member was just a passive member, with no
> real say, and, no recourse when things go wrong.
>
> What recourse does a WA member have, if the rules are broken? Fly over
> to NSW and complain to the courts or regulatory body, in NSW? We are
> not all millionaires.

Or you could charge into the age of the Internet and make your complaint
to the NSW Department of Fair Trading via email.

Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never