[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Jan 7 17:23:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Bret Busby">

> But, things do go wrong - like the spamming via Linux Australia, as the
> mailing list does not require (or has not required) posters of messages,
> to be subscribers to the list.
>
> And, when people have complained, the answer has been simple - "get
> stuffed - this is the way we do it - like it or lump it!"

Sorry, but a lot of people disagreed with you. Being able to voice a concern
does not necessarily mean that you will get your way.

> > Because the current constitution does not allow for it. It has been said
> > numerous times now that online voting and so on are goals the committee
> > would like to achieve.
>
> And, it has taken over a year, to get to "hey, maybe it is not a bad
> idea - let's think about it"? Well, I suppose, that is the purpose of
> committees...

That's not true at all. Not even in the slightest. Yes, yes, it's not new
technology, etc., etc. but the fact remains that the constitution did not
allow for it, and even holding an SGM to change the consititution to do it
for this set of elections was hard -> read the constitution. It is not a
conspired effort to annoy you, much as it may seem so to you. I would also
like to see this fixed up, but I'm patient enough to see it done correctly.

> > If they're a member, they're a member, no matter which state or country
> > they're in.
>
> Yes, that may be, but, it is like an overseas organisation in which I was
> a member - if you were there, you had a say, and knew what was going on,
> and, had recourse if things went awry, but, in not being where the
> organisation was located, a member was just a passive member, with no real
> say, and, no recourse when things go wrong.
>
> What recourse does a WA member have, if the rules are broken? Fly over to
> NSW and complain to the courts or regulatory body, in NSW? We are not all
> millionaires.

In an organisation that relies on the community, meritocracy and reputation,
a lot can be achieved on the mailing list, communication between LUGs, and
so on.

- Jeff

     "Linux is not like Novell, it isn't going to run out of money - it
              started off bankrupt, in a way." - Steve Ballmer