[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Jan 7 16:44:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Bret Busby">

> We will have a ruling elite - an upper class in the Australian Linux
> community, with these HLM's - perks for mates of the committee. - No
> question about it.

If you assume the worst, you'll encourage it along. I can't see any of these
things happening without community involvement - that is what LA is all
about. If the ctte did something terribly stupid or bad, the community would
cause a ruckus.

> Why can't the SGM and the AGM, all be conducted, via the Internet? Why
> can't the elections, be performed, via the Internet?

Because the current constitution does not allow for it. It has been said
numerous times now that online voting and so on are goals the committee
would like to achieve.

> And, what happens, for example, if a WA member has an issue about the
> operation of the organisation? Does the WA member just have to accept
> that there is no control over the organisation, except in NSW, and,
> therefore, only those in NSW, have any control over the organisation,
> making the organisation, in fact, a NSW organisation?

If they're a member, they're a member, no matter which state or country
they're in.

- Jeff

  "If you want to start a debate on a subject, however, all that seems to
     be necessary is to involve perennial target Richard Gooch." - LWN