[Linux-aus] Nomination

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Tue Jan 6 02:15:02 UTC 2004

Heh!

No, I've decided against nominating myself for a position. Let's face it:

 * I run OSBN-SA
   - http://osbn-sa.inetd.com.au

 * I run CSDN-SA
   - http://csdn.auug.org.au/

 * I'm more invovled with my local AUUG chapter than it might appear
   - http://www.sa.auug.org.au/

 * I'm ITShare Inc's public officer, and on its committee

 * I'm one of LinuxSA's "Royals" and "Rebel with a Cause"

...in other words I'm wielding far too much power already. Power is
corrupting, absolute power absolutely so.

In short, I think I would make a good committee member but I simply don't
have the time to give to a national organisation as well as to achieve the
goals I want to in South Australia.

For example, as a demonstration of cooperation, the two large open source
organisations--AUUG and Linux Australia--are going to help organise a
national "Open Source Week" to be kick started in Adelaide, South Australia.
Given the timing of things and the amount that needs to be done, the
stupendous amount of sponsorhip that will be needed and so forth this
probably won't happen until 2005 or even 2006, but mark my words: it will
happen.

But you know full well, I'll help where I can and you'll get plenty of
gratuitous, if unwanted, advice from me whether I'm on the committee or not.

DSL

--
"Theoden is a kindly old man. Denethor is another sort, proud
 and subtle, a man of far greater lineage and power, though

For this week and the next, consider me as Denethor; if you
wish the Steward's kindness, then make no haste to insult him,
or the lands under his watch.